Right now, the water’s pretty cold here in Orlando (and frozen solid up North), which means it is the perfect time to start getting your body in shape for the wake season. We have created this series of workout circuits that target the muscles you’ll use the most when you ride. This circuit workout targets the back and chest muscles, and will allow you to ride longer sets while preventing back injuries.
Start by warming up with 5 minutes on the treadmill. Set the incline to 4.0 and the speed to the point right before you break into a jog.
For each exercise, do 2 to 3 sets of 12 to 15 reps, unless we tell you otherwise.
1. Start with wide grip lat pull downs.
2. Continue with renegade row pushups. These require a good amount of upper-body strength. Holding your dumbbells, start from a push up position. Do one pushup, and then pull your right elbow up toward the ceiling. Repeat with your left elbow.
3. Do 20 squats fast. You can add hand weights or plates to make it more challenging.
4. Now you’ll do some chest flys:Lie on a stability ball or bench and hold dumbbells in each hand with your arms straight out to the side. Bring your arms together pointing to ceiling and back out.
5. Finish with 1 minute of jump rope.